I think that the father went into respiratory distress because of cardiac problems due to the stress of his child dying in the car while the engine was running and he was shoveling snow. That snow is what I call "Heart Attack Snow". Snow so heavy that it will stress out a bad heart and cause an attack. I started shoveling in front of my garage and knew right away that I would have to be careful.
Beware of a SCI, Sudden Cardiac Incident. It can kill you.
The Boston TV stations are now making a big thing out of clearing the exhausts of running vehicles.
Really a sad situation. My heart goes out to the father.
20 years ago, things like this happened regularly but because there was no publicity, no one knew. Today, thanks to all the awareness of CO poisoning, there is a greater awareness of the problem. I like to think that the heating industry has had a lot to do with the increased awareness.