The Wall
Forum / THE MAIN WALL / Lp gas pressure "conversion"
  • Post a Reply to this Thread

    Lp gas pressure "conversion" (3 Posts)

  • kcopp kcopp @ 8:27 AM
    Contact this user

    Lp gas pressure "conversion"

    I have a customer who has an existing direct vent water heater that is LP gas fired. It is on its last legs and leaking. He would like to replace it w/ a tankless fired unit. Problem is that the copper gas line runs over a finished space and is undersized. Is it possible to convert that to a 2# set up and then put a step down regulator in? What has to happen at the tank? New regulator or just an adjustment?
    This post was edited by an admin on April 11, 2013 8:30 AM.
  • Aaron_in_Maine Aaron_in_Maine @ 8:47 AM
    Contact this user


    Yes you can as long as nothing else is on that line. You will need a new regulator at the tank and a maxitrol for your new tankless. If there are other appliances on that line then they will need maxitrols as well.
  • TonyS TonyS @ 8:54 AM
    Contact this user

    It depends

    If you have two step regulation, A 10# at the tank and a 11 inch wc at the house, then you will only need to change the one at the house and add another inside.
    If you have a two stage single regulator you will need to replace the one on the tank .
    Download the serviceman's manual and the products catalog. It will show you everything.
    Remember to check and see if the tank will be large enough to supply the gas without freezing up. The tables are in the manual.
Post a Reply to this Thread