The Wall
Forum / THE MAIN WALL / Help with finding an angle valve for Runtal radiators
  • Post a Reply to this Thread

    Help with finding an angle valve for Runtal radiators (11 Posts)

  • WP WP @ 10:21 PM
    Contact this user

    Help with finding an angle valve for Runtal radiators

    We're putting in Runtal wall radiators in our remodel and will have the pipes come in from the walls above the baseboards. However, the Runtal standard angle valves would need to be set partially in wall, which means we would have to use escutcheons to hide the opening.

    I want to avoid having to use escutcheons and was hoping somebody here would have brand/part number for angle valves they've used for Runtal installations that allows flush installation without the valves having to be set partially in wall. Alan Forbes, a frequent contributor here, mentioned that the valve he used in the attached picture was from Ballofix but his supplier no longer stocks it.

    I really appreciate any help!!! Thanks.

  • Paul Pollets Paul Pollets @ 12:01 PM
    Contact this user

    TRV's and angle valves

    Using an angle valve when the wall panel is thin is difficult due to the radius of the angle valve. The radiator tapping needs to be at least 11/2" from the wall to plumb in a valve.

    Here's the link to the Oventrop valves and specs. Maybe you can find one that will work...
  • WP WP @ 12:33 PM
    Contact this user

    Is this Oventrop the right one?


    Thanks for pointing me to Oventrop. The only one I found that might work is the SKU 1091082 on this page:

    I can't seem to find specs on how far it protrudes from the wall. Is that one the most comparable to the Runtal angle shut off valve in the attached picture?
  • SWEI SWEI @ 12:53 PM
    Contact this user

    That looks a lot like the Myson LKD16AN

    which quotes 1.75" depth (versus 1.98" on  the Oventrop.)  Myson detail shows 1.03" to centerline of radiator spud, but remember with either of these planted flush your pipe would effectively terminate inside the wall sheeting. 
  • WP WP @ 3:17 PM
    Contact this user

    Question about the Myson valve

    Thanks for pointing out the Myson option, which is shallower than the Runtal valve (the one in the picture, not the Oventrop). So if they terminate inside the wallsheeting, then I'd have to use an escutcheon still?
  • SWEI SWEI @ 3:57 PM
    Contact this user

    Myson lockshield valves

    No need to use escutcheons per se, but they do save on paint/plaster finish labor.  
  • Runtal

    It would be nice to know what Runtal recommends on how to install their radiators.

    Don't they have any "solutions" on their website?
    Often wrong, never in doubt.
    This post was edited by an admin on June 26, 2013 1:15 AM.
  • WP WP @ 1:28 AM
    Contact this user

    Runtal valve offering

    For the angle valve, the picture I posted previously was what Runtal had, which requires in wall termination. The Myson valve suggsted by SWEI is actually shallower and is just deeper than the radiator centerpoint by 0.03".
  • zacmobile zacmobile @ 11:05 AM
    Contact this user


    Can you move the rad further off the wall? If I remember correctly the Runtal 'L' brackets can be flipped around for different wall spacings.
  • Johnny6 Johnny6 @ 10:15 AM
    Contact this user


    This usually where I end up looking
  • Oh, I get it!

    In this land of plenty:

    We used to be able to do it this way and make it look good, but now when for some reason, we can't get this perfectly suited connector, we can't do it this way anymore.

    Something is wrong somewhere.
    Often wrong, never in doubt.
Post a Reply to this Thread