A local air conditioning/heating technician was injured on a job on Tuesday while he was replacing a compressor. He attempted to unbraze the discharge line on the compressor. The oil vapor, mixing with the ambient air at the time the line was freed, ignited and, in essence, turned the compressor into a blow torch.
He is presently in the burn unit at a Manhattan hospital with severe burns and is facing a long, painful recovery.
Gentlemen, please keep in mind that your FIRST access to an air conditioning system should be with a tubing cutter, NOT a torch.