This thread has been bookmarked. Visit your bookmarked threads to review.
Post a Reply to this Thread
Chimney Liner Needed for Oil Burner? (3 Posts)
Chimney Liner Needed for Oil Burner?I live in a circa 1890 Victorian Style home--a 2-family home with 3 stories, several fireplaces (that we do not use) and oil heat.
My neighbor from upstairs recently heard from a chimney sweep that it is absolutely necessary to have a steel liner installed for the venting of the oil burner. When I purchased the house, and asked a similar question the technician who came to service the burner said that this was not necessary because it was oil, not gas heat. My neighbor is very concerned about poisonous gases leaking from the system.
Would be most appreciative if someone could advise us of whether or not a steel liner is necessary or not. (as an aside I am planning to sell my unit this spring so I only want to invest this huge amount of money if absolutely necessary).
Much thanks for any advise.
it dependsIs the chimney unlined? Has the unit been upgraded to one with a much lower stack temp? Signs of condensing? Any hidden plugs/caps up in the house where there was a stove? You should hire a chimney inspector, and not just a sweep to determine if it is your best interest
Linings:Like Billtwocase said, it depends.
If the boiler is changed, no matter what it is, in Massachusetts it MUST be lined. I don't know what the requirements in other states.
As far as what you were told, it is wrong. Oil exhaust will kill you just as dead as gas exhaust.
I was once told at a seminar that with oil, first you smell it, then you see it, then you die. With Gas, first you die, then you see it and then you smell it. Either way, you're dead. It's the Carbon Monoxide that kills you. Not the smell or smoke.
It sounds like you have a Condo type situation. Some home inspector might have a hang up about an unlined chimney and call on it. It may not legally need it, but it could hang up a sale. Post what State you live in. Someone else here might have better advice for you.
I suggest ceiling mounted Combo battery powered CO/Smoke detectors installed in the cellar and on each floor. They're cheaper than funerals. And if they chirp, don't take the batteries out to shut them off. Immediately put new batteries in them and if they still chirp, call the fire department