The Wall
Forum / THE MAIN WALL / Why is type M- L- K pipe called this?
  • Post a Reply to this Thread

    Why is type M- L- K pipe called this? (7 Posts)

  • grindog grindog @ 7:59 PM
    Contact this user

    different hardnesses

    they have different hardnesses. Mis softest and k is hardest. In massachusetts we use L for all water piping in the building and type K for the water service coming in from the street. M is used for heating unless otherwise specified.
  • brucewo1b brucewo1b @ 8:06 PM
    Contact this user

    Type M is thin-walled, system pressure as in water boiler runs to baseboard. Type L is medium-walled usually used for street pressse ie hot and cold water pressure and Type K is thick-walled
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO Mike T., Swampeast MO @ 8:44 PM
    Contact this user

    It doesn't help that even when quoted "K-L-M" Google returns hits for "KLM". KLM is both an airline and a major mining company... "M-L-K" gets almost nothing besides typos for "milk"
  • bob bob @ 8:49 PM
    Contact this user

    Copper Tube

    is availabel (ASTM B 88) in K,L,M,DWV,Medical Gas,ACR and G. Wall thickness varies from .025"-3/8"M to .405"-12"K. There are other types available from the mill on special order. The letter designation has nothing to do with hardness. I have no idea where the designations came from. The first documented use of copper tube to convey water was 5,000 years ago. It was used to supply water to Pharaoh Cheops bath. It is still in usable condition. I wonder what 5,000 year old PEX will look like. bob
  • brucewo1b brucewo1b @ 9:25 PM
    Contact this user

    If your pulling them out of a concrete slab I'll wager that the PEX wins
  • John@Reliable John@Reliable @ 7:37 PM
    Contact this user

    Copper pipe markings

    Anyone know why copper pipe is rated like this. Is it because of drill size (thickness) or some other reason.I hate it when someone asks me a question I can't answer. John
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO Mike T., Swampeast MO @ 8:29 PM
    Contact this user

    According to the K-L-M designation refers to wall thickness: "Types K (heaviest), L (standard), and M (lightest) wall thickness schedules as classified by ASTM B88" Am still searching for the origin of those designations. I've found that the origins of nomenclature are EXTREMELY difficult to find on the web and almost never mentioned in printed trade references. You have to find the "weird facts" sort of sources...
Post a Reply to this Thread