We Got Steam Heat! - A Homeowner's Guide to Peaceful Coexistence
As featured in Old-House Journal magazine.
You a homeowner? Got steam heat? Tired of the uneven heat, the squirting air vents, the high fuel bills, the things that go bump in the night? If so, then this book’s for you! For more than 30 years,I've studied the steam and the work of the “Dead Men” (those are the folks who put all this stuff in). I know these systems inside and out, and I think you'll like my plain-English way of explaining it all to you.
In 172 pages, you’ll learn . . .
* How your steam heating system works (and why it might not)
* What each component is, and what it does (or what it’s supposed to do!)
* Why high pressure in a steam heating system won’t work
* How the choice of fuels can affect your system
* What causes all that noise (and how to get rid of it once and for all)
* Simple ways to lower your fuel bill
* What you can do yourself
* When you should keep your hands in your pockets
* How to find a steam heating pro (and how to avoid the knuckleheads)
* Things that should be in every contract you sign for steam heating work
* The right questions to ask when replacing a boiler
* How to fix, move, clean, paint and/or replace an old radiator
* How to have a hot water zone added to your steam heating system
* How to know if you can have your system converted to hot water heat
* And a whole lot more!
There’s also a bit of history to go along with the mystery of steam heating here – things you probably didn’t know about exploding boilers, Gabriel Fahrenheit, the Spanish Influenza and mechanical mayhem in New York City. I promise you this. You WON'T be bored!
(And as with ALL our books, if you're not 100% satisfied, just send it back within 30 days for a full refund. You can't lose!)